Like many moms in this day and age, I had been planning a themed party for my daughter’s upcoming birthday. I had gotten as far as sending out the invitations to her friends when there was suddenly a family emergency that required us to travel.
Because of the unexpected traveling, I was unable to do all the prep work for my daughter’s birthday celebration during the week leading up to her party back here at home. We returned home just in time to throw an impromptu birthday party. As it turns out…
Here are some things we did for our last minute party with toddler friends. Hopefully these tips will help you create a fun, impromptu birthday party for young kids.
1. Get some cheap decorations. Wal-mart and the dollar store have color-coordinated decorations for under $1 each. Bunting and tablecloths go a long way in making a space look party-ready.
2. Get some pre-made snacks. Cupcakes and fruit are always a reliable party hit. I like to get berries and divide them into festive cupcake liners. (If you’re really pressed for time, you can get the pre-washed and chopped fruit from the chilled produce section.)
3. Turn on some tunes. If you don’t have a CD of children’s music handy, you can turn to Pandora or iTunes radio to find some kids music. This doesn’t require much advance planning at all.
4. Party favors. Again, turn to the dollar bins. This is a great way to find last minute items for party favor bags for kiddie friends.
5. Blow up some balloons. Non-inflated balloons can be purchased inexpensively just about anywhere. They don’t take that long to blow up (you only need a handful), and they can make for great party entertainment for little kids.
6. Pre-made party games. Many stores also carry simple party games in a bag. (Think “Pin the tail on the donkey.”) This would provide another quick and easy way to entertain the little friends at the party.
And there you have it – decorations, food, gifts, games, and music all thrown together to make a fun last minute birthday party for young kids, and guaranteed to make those little ones giggle with joy.